Volunteers have always been a vital part of UHS Hospitals, and today they play an even greater role in our continued success.
Volunteers come from all age groups. They enjoy rewarding opportunities and take great pride in their efforts. They also find fulfillment in the hospital’s stimulating environment, achieve work experience and make new friends.
Our volunteer program is designed to fit your unique interests and abilities, and best of all, your schedule. You can volunteer when it’s most convenient for you. So, if you have a little time and the inclination to help others, please consider joining our terrific team of volunteers at any of our four hospitals.
Volunteers Help in Almost Every Hospital Department
We appreciate the qualities our volunteers bring to UHS, and we put them to good use. Our volunteer opportunities vary by hospital, but may include:
- Admission/discharge escorts and greeters who escort patients to/from their rooms at admission and discharge, greet and assist patients who are admitted or who are using outpatient services, and walk with patients and visitors to their destinations.
- Ambulatory care center/pre-admission testing volunteers transport patients, deliver laboratory work, file or serve as hosts.
- Dietary services volunteers assist staff by packaging silverware and food supplies.*
- Female clinical students may assist mothers during labor as doulas*.
- Emergency department assistants help patients, families and staff by providing refreshments and magazines, as well as helping staff with other departmental needs.
- Patient service aides assist staff on various units.
- Volunteers staff the snack bar and gift shop at UHS Wilson Medical Center and UHS Binghamton General Hospital.
- Patient information volunteers provide directions and other information to patients and visitors.
- Volunteers deliver flowers and cards to patients.
- Mailing and clerical assistants address and sort hospital publications for mailing and perform other clerical tasks.
- Physical therapy student volunteers assist physical therapists working with ambulatory patients.
- Surgical hosts serve refreshments and relay messages to families of patients who are undergoing surgery.
*intensive training required
If you’d like to become a UHS volunteer, please contact the hospital of your choice:
- UHS Wilson Medical Center: Call our Volunteer Services Office at (607) 763-6131 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address, and let us know if you’re an adult or junior volunteer)
- UHS Binghamton General Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at (607) 762-2318 or send an email to email@example.com (be sure to include your name, address, phone number and email address, and let us know if you’re an adult or junior volunteer)
- UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at (607) 337-4151
- UHS Delaware Valley Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at (607) 865-2414