UHS has provided specialty services for people with the treatment and management of diabetes in Binghamton, Norwich and Southern Tier community for over 35 years. The UHS Diabetes and Endocrinology Center teaches patient responsibility and self management to help the person with diabetes achieve and maintain optimal health. Everyone affected by diabetes-patients, families and friends–can acquire skills to successfully manage their diabetes. Our Norwich, Walton and Binghamton diabetes treatment programs serve the entire Southern Tier community and offers comprehensive resources for diabetics and their families.
- Referral by Primary Care Provider is needed for an appointment with Endocrinology or Diabetes Education.
- All appointments and classes will be billed to your insurance carrier. Please check with your insurance carrier for coverage.
- Physician or Nurse Practitioner specializing in diabetes, thyroid or endocrine disorders
- Intensive diabetes management - Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational (diabetes during pregnancy)
- Endocrine disorders (adrenal, pituitary, parathyroid, thyroid)
- Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- Insulin pump management
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Cholesterol management
- Provided by Certified Diabetes Educators, Registered Nurses and Registered Dietitians.
- Individual and group counseling
- Insulin starts
- Instruction on injectable diabetes medication
- Insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) education
Type 1 Diabetes - individual appointments available for diabetes education.
Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-diabetes - we recommend attending one of our introductory sessions:
Meal Planning and Meter Class - 90-120 minute class for newly diagnosed or no prior education
Take Control of Your Diabetes - 90 minute refresher class for those with prior education
After attending the introductory session you will attend the Diabetes Self Management Education Program which is scheduled once per month. Once you attend this class you will be scheduled for an individual counseling session to review your individual progress, records, and goals.
Our comprehensive diabetes self management education program includes instruction on:
- Nutrition, meal planning and carbohydrate counting
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Prevention of complications/decreasing risks associated with diabetes
- Physical activity
- Diabetes disease process and treatment options
- Living with diabetes
Individual appointments are also available for those not able to participate in the group setting.
Gestational Diabetes - individual or group sessions available
Please contact us if we can help in any way:
UHS Wilson Medical Center
UHS Diabetes and Endocrinology Center
Arch Street, Picciano 2, Johnson City
UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital
Norwich Diabetes Education Program
179 North Broad Street, Norwich
UHS Delaware Valley Hospital
Walton Diabetes Education Program
2 Titus Place, Walton
The American Diabetes Association recognizes UHS as
meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education.