Video from the Program Director
Our Transitional Year provides exceptional preparation for physicians who must complete an internship before beginning a residency in specialties such as radiology, anesthesiology, ophthalmology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and others that require this additional training.
Placement in the Transitional Year Program is competitive. We provide outstanding clinical experiences and didactic learning opportunities, combined with an excellent quality of life. Our flexible curriculum allows plenty of time for electives, giving you the chance to further explore areas that interest you.
Regina Frants, MD, FCCP.
Medical School: Moscow Medical Stomatological Institute, Moscow, USSR
Residency: Newton Wellesley Hospital, MA
Fellowship: Pulmonary/Critical Care at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Dr. Frants has had academic appointments with Baylor College of Medicine, and currently holds one at Upstate Medical University. She is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care Medicine and a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians. Dr. Frants has numerous publications in the field of pulmonary physiology (including chapter on "Circulation Effects in COPD" in Respiratory-Circulatory Interactions in Health and Disease, Lung Biology in Health and Disease, 2005). When not caring for patients and administering the residency program, Dr. Frants enjoys spending time with her daughter traveling the world and frequenting New York City.
|Selective (GI or Gen Surg)
|*General Medicine call schedule includes 3 weeks of night float
|Levy Adoko, MD
||St. George's University
|Sean Feinberg, MD
|Dong Kim, MD
||Stony Brook University
|Nina Millet, MD
||St. George's University
|Vamsee Neerukonda, MD
||SUNY Upstate Medical University-Binghamton
|Hans Salamanca, MD
||SUNY Upstate Medical University
|Waleed Shady, MD
||University of Cairo
Jonathan Weissberg, MD
|SUNY Upstate Medical University-Binghamton
Stipends & Benefits
UHS Transitional Year and Preliminary Medicine Year Benefits
SALARY $56,650 (Year)
Sample Residency Agreement
- Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, Community Practice Pharmacy, a Blue Cross network pharmacy or through mail order. Costs will be lowest at the Community Practice Pharmacy.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each resident is allotted $750/year to be used for educational expenses and professional fees and/or activities (i.e. books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.).
- Academic Appointments
- All residents receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York
- Osteopathic residents receive an additional academic appointment with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, PA.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Residents have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
- Meal allowance provided for residents on call as well as stocked refrigerator in lounges.
ON-SITE HOUSING - Eckelberger Tower
On-site housing is conveniently located across from the hospital. This spacious and comfortable facility is for residents, fellows and visiting medical students. Rent includes: heat, electric, water, air conditioning, standard cable television and wireless internet. Free laundry facilities, fitness center, parking, and trash removal.
1 Bedroom: $550/month
2 Bedroom: $675/month
3 Bedroom: $900/month