Preliminary Medicine Year
Our Preliminary Medicine Year offers outstanding training for programs that require one year training in Internal Medicine, i.e. Neurology or for those residents in which additional experience in Internal Medicine or critical care will enhance their career. Interns in this program will practice in a supportive environment which maximizes professional and personal growth through a solid base of practical skill development and an extensive conference schedule. A full complement of elective time is built into the schedule and tailored to meet the programmatic requirements of your follow-on residency.
Program Highlights include: Procedural training, Hospitalist training, General Medicine Clinic, reasonable call schedule.
Christine Fenlon, MD
Title: Infectious Disease Specialist
Medical School: SUNY Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
Residency: SUNY Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
Fellowship: SUNY College of Medicine, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
Specialty Areas: Infectious Disease
||6 1/2 blocks*
||2 1/2 blocks
|*General Medicine call schedule includes 3 weeks of night float
|Preliminary Medicine Year
|Aasiya Haroon, MD
||Lahore Medical and Dental College
|Keerti Pakala, MD
||Osmania Medical College
Stipends & Benefits
UHS Transitional Year and Preliminary Medicine Year Benefits
SALARY $56,650 (Year)
Sample Residency Agreement
- Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, Community Practice Pharmacy, a Blue Cross network pharmacy or through mail order. Costs will be lowest at the Community Practice Pharmacy.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each resident is allotted $750/year to be used for educational expenses and professional fees and/or activities (i.e. books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.).
- Academic Appointments
- All residents receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York
- Osteopathic residents receive an additional academic appointment with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, PA.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Residents have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
- Meal allowance provided for residents on call as well as stocked refrigerator in lounges.
ON-SITE HOUSING - Eckelberger Tower
On-site housing is conveniently located across from the hospital. This spacious and comfortable facility is for residents, fellows and visiting medical students. Rent includes: heat, electric, water, air conditioning, standard cable television and wireless internet. Free laundry facilities, fitness center, parking, and trash removal.
1 Bedroom: $550/month
2 Bedroom: $675/month
3 Bedroom: $900/month