The Geriatrics Fellowship Program at UHS Wilson Medical Center, established in 2005, is fully accredited, sponsored by the Family Medicine Residency with close links to the Internal Medicine Residency. The structured, one-year curriculum is designed with flexibility in mind, offering you a combination of focused training and a comfortable lifestyle. If you are a dedicated physician who works well in teams, possesses exceptional organizational skills and knowledge base and who is committed to offering your patients the best possible treatment with a compassionate approach, then our Geriatrics Fellowship is the place for you.
Fellows receive a full scope of training experiences through a variety of facilities and patient care settings. Each fellow will serve as a Clinical Assistant Instructor for Upstate Medical University and work with students from Upstate as well as numerous other schools from around the country. Fellows also serve as a primary source of Geriatric consultation for all of UHS Wilson Medical Center's residency programs.
Affiliation with Upstate Medical University Medical School, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, PA and the Columbia University Stroud Center Statewide Psychiatry Fellowship Program.
- Structured, one-year program that is flexible to individual professional and personal goals.
- 1-2 fellows per year.
- Primary hospital is a high-tech, regional referral and trauma center.
- An extensive and diverse patient population.
- Solid, well-established base residency programs.
- Two full service nursing homes integrated into the program.
- Didactic conferences including weekly conferences and Grand Rounds, specialty teaching days and a community-wide geriatric scholar course.
- Fellows serve as primary source of geriatric consultations in the community.
- Strong behavioral science component with weekly clinical and teaching interactions with the Columbia University geri-psych fellows and faculty.
- Affiliation with Binghamton University School of Nursing Elder Services.
- Limited on-call.
Graduate physicians who are competent to:
- Provide quality, "best-practice" geriatric primary care.
- Serve at an expert, consultant level for selected complex and problematic patients, in and out of the hospital.
- Be a medical director of a long-term care institution.
- Give expert advice to organizations regarding system and patient-specific issues pertaining to geriatrics.
- Teach the geriatrics curriculum of an Internal or Family Medicine Residency.
Participating Facilities, Organizations
- UHS Wilson Medical Center and UHS Binghamton General Hospital - two community hospitals
- UHS Senior Living at Ideal
- Bridgewater Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing
- UHS Primary Care Johnson City
- UHS Medical Group
- Neuro Medical Care Associates
- UHS Home Care
James Crosby, MD
Medical School: Upstate Medical University
Residency: Wilson Residency Program
Dr. Crosby has over 30 years of practice and graduate medical education experience. He is certified by the American Board of Family Medicine with certification in Geriatrics, a member of the American Geriatrics Society and medical director of Ideal Senior Living Center. He is fully integrated into the Wilson Family Medicine Residency and has weekly interactions with the geriatric fellow. One of his recent publications highlights his 10 year practice and teaching experience with an on-site office in an assisted living center.
Message from James Crosby, MD, Geriatrics Medicine Fellowship Program Director
"I am proud of our fellowship. One of my strengths is the attention I give to the details and fine tuning necessary for a quality and personally oriented program. You will find that the fellowship is adequately structured to provide you with the necessary guidance and direction to complete your training. I also make it a point to schedule your fellowship with time for study, thinking and reflection - a luxury not usually found in residencies. Fellows also receive the latest edition of my "Geriatric Fast Facts" an extensive nuts and bolts compendium highly rated by residents."
James Crosby, MD
Curriculum, Faculty & Fellowships
||% of Time
||Ideal and Bridgewater Centers
|Geriatric Outpatient Care
||Full spectrum Geriatric outpatient care in various locations
||Office preceptorships, agency interaction, neurology, endocrinology rheumatology, end-of-life/palliative care, dementia, gero-psych, administrative med, self-study
|Geriatric Inpatient Care
||Follow own patients into inpatient setting and provide support to residency programs.
|Primary Outpatient Care
||Full spectrum general outpatient care in primary specialty
||Academic study or project
||Follow selected patients who are home-bound or require home care
||Includes weekly case and topic review with faculty, American Geriatrics Society Core Syllabus and annual meeting, local Geriatrics Scholar Course.
Some of the Geriatric Fellowship Faculty:
Shawn Berkowitz, MD - ABFM, Geriatrics Certified
Christopher Ryan, MD - ABFM
Jerold Schwartz, MD - ABIM, Geriatrics Certified
Maureen McPhee, FNP-C - Geriatric nurse practitioner at UHS Senior Living at Ideal
James Hayes, MD - leader in the transitional care team which deals with end of life, palliative care issues
Geriatric Fellowship Graduates:
Lilia Ponton, MD - St. Matthew's University
Ranjit Yelamanchi, MD - St. Matthew's University
Shoaib Asgher, MD - Family Medicine, Geriatrics
Jerome Mikloucich, DO - Primary Care, Geriatrics
Meera Sohail, MD - Geriatric Medicine
Bella Zimilevich, MD - Geriatric Medicine
Shawn Berkowitz, MD - Geriatrician/Faculty Physician at UHS
Donna Husmann, MD - Geriatric Practice/Long Term Care
Spencer Eisenberg, DO - New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Stipends & Benefits
UHS Geriatric and Sports Medicine Fellowship Benefits
SALARY $60,000 (Year)
Sample Residency Agreement
- Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, Community Practice Pharmacy, a Blue Cross network pharmacy or through mail order. Costs will be lowest at the Community Practice Pharmacy.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each fellow is allotted $1500/year to be used towards professional development, conferences, books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.
- Academic Appointments
- All fellows receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York.
- Osteopathic fellows receive an additional academic appointment with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Erie, PA.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Fellows have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
ON-SITE HOUSING - Eckelberger Tower
On-site housing is conveniently located across from the hospital. This spacious and comfortable facility is for residents, fellows and visiting medical students. Rent includes: heat, electric, water, air conditioning, standard cable television and wireless internet. Free laundry facilities, fitness center, parking, and trash removal.
1 Bedroom: $550/month
2 Bedroom: $675/month
3 Bedroom: $900/month
Geriatric Fellowship Application Requirements
Successful completion of a residency in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine from an ACGME accredited program. The interested applicant should apply to our program using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), September through November 1st, to include the following materials:
- Personal Statement -Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letters of Recommendation (Minimum of 3), including 1 from your Residency Program Director
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcript
- Intent to take the Family Medicine or Internal Medicine board exam and the Geriatric board exam
For more information e-mail: email@example.com