Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
The Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship program at UHS Hospitals-Wilson Medical Center, established in 2011 based on the guidelines of ACGME. The ESN fellowship is fully accredited by the Inisitutional Graduate Medical Education (GME) and is located in a community based tertiary care facility and teaching hospital. Our program is affiliated with SUNY Upstate Medical University Syracuse, NY, Department of Neurology and is the only fellowship program for ESN at Upstate Medical University. Our neurosciences academic program consists of neurosurgery, neurology and neuroradiology with close interaction with anesthesia and pulmonary critical care. The first preparatory year is dedicated towards development of basic cognitive, clinical and radiographic skills essentials for diagnostic interpretation and clinical decision making. In additional to the pre and intra-procedure medical management of patients with different cerebrovascular diseases requiring intervention, 1st year will be dedicated to gain clinical skills in post-operative management of patients in the critical care unit who underwent interventional procedure. The second advanced year of training is dedicated to endovascular surgical neuroradiology interventional procedures when applied in an appropriate cerebrovascular clinical setting using catheter based technology. This experience includes the management of patients with neurological disease, the performance of endovascular surgical neuroradiology procedures, and the integration of endovascular surgical neuroradiology therapy into the clinical management of patients. Our endovascular surgical neuroradiology fellowship at UHS Hospitals is a strong and well balanced program which will allow our fellows the proper tools to be an excellent and competent endovascular surgical neuroradiology specialist.
Yahia M Lodi MD., FAHA., FANA.
Neurosciences Academic Chair
Board certified in Neurocritical Care, Vascular Neurology (stroke) and Neurology
Professor (Tenured) of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Radiology
Comprehensive Stroke/Neurocriticalcare and Neuroendovascular Center
Fellowship Director, NeurocriticalCare Program & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology at UHS Hospitals-Wilson Medical Center
Message from Yahia Lodi, MD,FAHA., FANA, Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship Program Director
“Welcome to the Endovascular surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship Program. Our mission is to provide a clinically oriented comprehensive training in diagnostic and therapeutic techniques of cerebrovascular diseases and endovascular surgical neuroradiology in addition to achieve complete management skills in all complex cerebrovascular diseases in critical care and ambulatory setting. Our goals are to help you make a strong independent acute care clinician and a competent neuro-endovascular operator.”
Curriculum, Faculty and Fellowship
The UHS Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship is a Two year program. The program includes training and experience in the following:
- Signs and symptoms of disorders amenable to diagnosis and treatment by endovascular surgical neuroradiology techniques.
- The correlation of basic cerebrovascular anatomy and physiology to imaging and diagnosis of vascular disorders of the head and neck circulation and the central nervous system.
- Neurological examinations to evaluate patients with neurological disorders.
- Pathophysiology and natural history of these disorders.
- Indications and contraindications to endovascular surgical neuroradiology procedures.
- Technical skills necessary to perform safe cerebrovascular arteriography including pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative management skills.
- Technical skills in performing endovascular procedures for treatment cerebrovascular disease.
- Knowledge and understanding of medical and surgical alternatives.
- Pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative management of endovascular patients
- Neurointensive care management as it applies to the cerebrovascular and endovascular disease processes.
- Fundamentals of imaging physics and radiation biology.
- Interpretation of radiographic studies pertinent to the practice.
In addition, the faculty provides didactic teaching and direct supervision of the fellows performance in clinical patient management and in the procedural, interpretive, and consultative aspects of endovascular surgical neuroradiology therapy. The faculty also stimulates scholarly activities and directs fellows in the conduct of such activities.
Yahia M. Lodi, MD., FAHA., FANA, Director, Neuro Critical Care Fellowship & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship, Professor in Neurology, Neurosurgery & Radiology
Varun Reddy, MD, Associate Director, Neuro Critical Care Fellowship & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship. Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurosurgery at Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
George Petro, MD., who holds an appointment in Radiology, with expertise in endovascular surgical neuroradiology techniques
UHS Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship Benefits
SALARY based on the PGY level.
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, an Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield network pharmacy, or through mail order.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each fellow is allotted $1500/year to be used towards professional development, conferences, books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.
- Academic Appointments
- All fellows receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Fellows have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
Fellowship Application Requirements
- Letter of intent in Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation including one (1) from your Residency Program Director
To be considered for the Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology fellowship program, applicants must have completed an:
- Neurology Residency followed by Vascular Neurology/Neurocritical Care Fellowship
- Neurosurgery/Radiology Residency followed by Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship.
Applications should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
UHS Wilson Medical Center
Medical Education Department
33-57 Harrison Street
Johnson City, New York 13790