Critical Care Neurology Fellowship
The Neurocritical Care Fellowship at UHS Hospitals-Wilson Medical Center, established in 2014, is fully accredited by the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS) and is located in a community based tertiary care facility and teaching hospital. Our program is affiliated w/SUNY Upstate Medical University Department of Neurology in which interaction amongst neuroscience departments occurs. Our neurosciences academic program consists of neurosurgery, neurology and neuroradiology with close interaction with anesthesia and pulmonary critical care. These unique environments allows our fellows to interact freely and actively with neurosurgery, neurology, radiology and anesthesiology to learn all aspects of neurocritical care comprehensively.
Our neurocritical care team admits all acute stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhages, intracranial hemorrhages, status epilepticus, complicated post-operative cases and cardiac arrest patients who require hypothermia as a primary team. The neurosciences team is responsible for the ventilators, cardiac hemodynamics and other systemic complications including sepsis. Because of the closed team model, our fellows have the opportunity to place intraventricular catheter under the supervision of neurosurgery, bronchoscopy under the supervision of pulmonologist and management of difficult airway under anesthesia. For uncomplicated post-operative cases and trauma cases, the neuro critical care team acts as a consultant which allows the fellow to focus on more critical cases.
We also have a comprehensive stroke and endovascular center and our fellows are responsible for decision making and post-operative management. Internal Medicine residents and two full-time Nurse Practitioners assist the fellows as part of the team. We have weekly neurosciences CME lectures, monthly journal club, and monthly mortality and morbidity conference. Fellows actively participate in all ongoing clinical trials and clinical outcome research. Fellows are required to complete at least one research project with publications in a peer review journal and presentation of two abstracts in a national or international meeting, focusing on critical care neurology.
Our Neurocritical Care Fellowship at UHS Hospitals is a strong and well balanced program which will allow our fellows the proper tools to be an excellent and competent neurocritical care specialist.
Yahia M Lodi MD., FAHA
Neurosciences Academic Chair
Board certified in Neurocritical Care, Vascular Neurology (stroke) and Neurology
Professor (Tenured) of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Radiology
Comprehensive Stroke/Neurocriticalcare and Neuroendovascular Center
Fellowship Director, NeurocriticalCare Program & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology at UHS Hospitals-Wilson Medical Center
Message from Yahia Lodi, MD,FAHA, Neurocritical Care Fellowship Program Director
“Welcome to the Neurocritical Care Fellowship Program. Our mission is to provide comprehensive training in vascular and critical care neurology that will prepare the individual to provide appropriate care to the critically ill neurological patients in both the medical critical care & neurocritical care settings.”
Curriculum, Faculty and Fellowship
The UHS Critical Care Fellowship is organized in a 12 Month rotation including:
- Neuro-ICU (8)
- Stroke/ER (3)
- Elective (1)
- Neuro-ICU (6)
- Stroke/ER (2)
- Elective (4)
In addition, fellows are strongly encouraged to participate in all ongoing clinical trials. It is mandatory for the fellows to participate in clinical and laboratory prospective and retrospective studies that are active and ongoing in the fields of stroke and critical care.
Fellows are also responsible for sharing acute stroke calls with endovascular fellows. All above activities will be supervised by neurointensivists and stroke attending’s.
- Yahia M. Lodi, MD., FAHA, Director, Neuro Critical Care Fellowship & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship, Professor in Neurology, Neurosurgery & Radiology
- Varun Reddy, MD., Associate Director Neuro Critical Care Fellowship & Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology Fellowship
- Shamaelah Javed, MD, Neuro Interventional Surgery
Stipends & Benefits
UHS Neuro Critical Care Fellowship Benefits
SALARY: based on PGY levelBENEFITS
- Insurance Coverage
- Health Insurance: UHS is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with UHS Preferred Provider Organization (UHS PPO). UHS covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, an Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield network pharmacy, or through mail order.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Personal Time Off (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses)
- Moving Allowance
- A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
- Professional Development Fund
- Each fellow is allotted $1500/year to be used towards professional development, conferences, books, PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.
- Academic Appointments
- All fellows receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York.
- Athletic/Gym Privileges
- Fellows have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
Fellowship Application Requirements
Applicant should have successfully completed residency in one of the following programs:
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
The interested applicant should apply to our program using the SF Match (Program ID: 5266), October through April 15. The following materials should be included:
- Personal Statement/Letter of Intent
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation including one (1) from your Residency Program Director
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcript
For more information e-mail email@example.com.