Breast Cancer Rehabilitation
Breast cancer rehabilitation provides treatment for many common physical difficulties experienced by breast cancer patients and survivors. If you answer “yes” to any of the following questions, our breast cancer rehabilitation services may be able to help:
- Do you have pain in your chest or shoulder area?
- Do you feel stiff or tight in your chest or shoulder area?
- Is it hard to bathe, dress or do your household chores because of pain and difficulty moving your arm?
- Does your arm feel heavy or tired?
- Are you feeling overwhelmingly fatigued?
- Do you feel weak?
If you are experiencing any of the issues noted above, please speak to your physician about breast cancer rehabilitation treatment; a physician’s prescription/order is required for these services.
Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Treatment
Rehabilitation services may include:
- Exercises to
- Improve range of motion
- Improve strength
- Improve posture
- Reduce pain
- Hands-on treatment to improve soft-tissue mobility
- Education to help you learn
- Which exercises and activities can be done at home
- How to reduce your risk of lymphedema
- Lymphedema screening and treatment
Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Can Be Performed
- After surgery or biopsy
- During or after chemotherapy or radiation treatment
- Before, during or after breast reconstruction
- Years after breast cancer care
Specialists Who Provide Breast Cancer Rehabilitation
Breast cancer rehabilitation is provided by a physical or occupational therapist who has additional training in breast care rehabilitation. These therapists are skilled in delivering individualized care to each patient to help them reach their personal goals, reduce pain and improve the functional use of their arm.
Location and Hours
Breast cancer rehabilitation services are provided at the following locations:
UHS Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Johnson City
UHS Wilson Medical Center
Monday through Friday: 7:30am to 4:30pm
UHS Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Pennsylvania Avenue
65 Pennsylvania Avenue, Binghamton, NY
Monday through Thursday: 7:00am to 7:00pm
Friday: 7:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am to Noon